How has Dr. Terrence Martin’s experience in financial planning influenced his research in financial education?
In this episode, Jamie Hopkins, Managing Partner of Wealth Solutions, and Ana Trujillo Limón, Director, Coaching and Advisor Content, speak with Terrance Kieron Martin Jr., Ph.D., MBA, Assistant Professor of Financial Planning at Winston-Salem State University about his shift from researching retirement planning to financial education and his experiences working with diverse communities in the financial planning industry. Dr. Terrance Martin goes over the challenges faced by institutions with limited funding and the importance of alumni giving and touches on his pursuit of tenure and the need for more support and engagement in academia.
- How his first money memory with his grandmother guided his career in finance and economics
- His shift from researching retirement planning to financial education
- The lack of diversity in the financial planning profession and challenges faced by minority students
- Support and funding disparities between institutions
- Why financial support is so important for nonprofits and universities
- How to encourage alumni giving and build a strong community
- His pursuit of professional freedom and challenges faced by African American professors in obtaining tenure
- And more
Connect with Jamie Hopkins and Ana Trujillo Limón:
Connect with Terrance Martin:
About our Guest:
Terrance Kieron Martin Jr., Ph.D., MBA, is an Assistant Professor of Financial Planning at Winston-Salem State University, determined to contribute to diversity initiatives of personal financial planning. His research interest interest includes financial literacy, life insurance settlement demand, behavioral finance. He has past experience with purchasing and procurement management, brand development, retailing, general ledger accounting project and event management.
Carson Group is committed to advancing financial literacy. Our coaches work with thousands of FPA members. Schedule a consultation to learn how Carson can help you help your clients and grow your business.