In today’s episode of Framework, Jamie talks with Theodora Lau, Founder of Unconventional Ventures.
Theodora is a public speaker, writer, and advisor who sparks innovation and drives difficult conversations about discrimination across different industries. With her experience in IT and financial services, Theodora is also keen on helping financial institutions, entrepreneurs, startups, and venture capitalists be strategic when meeting their customers’ needs.
Theodora talks with Jamie about the importance of transferable skills, the challenges of ageism in the workforce, and the need for diversity of genders and voices in firms.
“We need diversity and not just diversity of gender, but a diversity of voices. I am so tired of going to conference after conference, reading report after report, that always features the same faces, the same voices, the same opinion. There are so many bright and smart people within financial services and within the startup ecosystem. We need to not only give them a seat at the table but also give them a voice.” ~ Theodora Lau
- Most start-ups are notorious for having a toxic work culture. Start-ups need to reassess, streamline certain processes, and add more stability to their structure.
- Identify and leverage your transferable skills to impact customer experience. For example, merging emerging technologies and telecommunications has brought in 5G, artificial intelligence (AI), the internet of things (IoT), etc.
- Utilize technology to extend your resources. As we grow old, living standards become more complex. Promote conversation about future finances, retirement, and ageism in the workplace.
- The best ideas come from the most diverse teams. Everyone should speak, regardless of gender, ethnicity, education, background, sexual orientation, etc.
Links and Important Mentions
- Theodora Lau on LinkedIn
- Theodora Lau on Twitter
- Unconventional Ventures
- Rensselaer Polytechnic University
- Bucknell University
- George Washington University
- World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Report 2021
- Beyond Good: How Technology is Leading a Purpose-Driven Business Revolution by Theodora Lau
- Sunrise Banks
- Tyrone Ross
- Oxfam International
- One Vision Podcast
- FinTech Prose
Transform the Way You Grow Your Firm at Excell 2021
Whether you’re just starting in the industry or you manage a billion-dollar firm, Excell 2021 is for you. As one of the largest conferences in the industry, we have a full slate of development opportunities for you and your entire team. Hear from Carson Founder and CEO Ron Carson, best-selling author John DiJulius, Nerd’s Eye View’s Michael Kitces, Framework Host Jamie Hopkins, and plenty more.
Join us October 12-14, 2021, in Las Vegas, or register for our digital-only conference. Register today at https://excellconference.com.