Are you struggling to find your footing as a leader? Do you find yourself constantly surrounded by noise and distractions?
In this episode, Jamie Hopkins, Managing Partner of Wealth Solutions, and Ana Trujillo Limón, Director, Coaching and Advisor Content, speak with Mike Erwin, a 13-year army veteran and Executive Director at Team Red, White & Blue, about the impact practicing solitude has on personal and professional development and the importance of human skills in today’s digital age.
- What made him make the affirmative decision to go to West Point
- His advice for young cadets joining West Point to keep a positive mindset and focus on physical fitness
- How he realized solitude was a valuable addition to his development as a person, leader, and professional during his deployment to Iraq
- What inspired him to write his book, “Lead Yourself First” about the intersection between solitude and leadership
- Why some people are reluctant to practice solitude and how it can improve your relationships with yourself and others
- How positive psychology research shows that the quality of relationships with family, friends, teammates, and coworkers is the number one driver of life satisfaction
- What inspired him to volunteer and what he loves about giving back
- The skillsets and qualities that make hiring and working with veterans beneficial for financial advisors
- The importance of human skills in a world that is becoming more digital and less human-to-human interaction
- How we can help younger generations cultivate people skills, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic
- What freedom means to him
- And more
- Lead Yourself First by Mike Erwin, Raymond Kethledge and Jim Collins
- Leadership Is A Relationship by Mike Erwin and Willys Devoll
Connect with Jamie Hopkins and Ana Trujillo Limón:
Connect with Mike Erwin:
About our Guest:
Mike Erwin is a West Point graduate and a 13-year Army veteran. Mike founded several organizations in the past decade, including Team Red, White & Blue, to help enrich the lives of America’s veterans in the Positivity Project which empowers America’s youth to build positive relationships. Simultaneously, he worked on leadership through the two books he co-authored: Lead Yourself First and Leadership Is A Relationship.
Carson Group is committed to advancing financial literacy. Our coaches work with thousands of FPA members. Schedule a consultation to learn how Carson can help you help your clients and grow your business.